At The Voice and Swallowing Center, a division of ENT & Allergy Associates, LLP, is dedicated to the evaluation and treatment of voice and swallowing disorders and to further the understanding of voice and swallowing through education. The faculty at the Voice & Swallowing Center has invented or pioneered a suite of office-based diagnosis & therapeutic procedures.
Neurologic Swallowing Disorders
1. Horner J, Massey EW, Riski JE, Lathrop DL, Chase KN. Aspiration following stroke: clinical correlates and outcome. Neurology 1988; 38: 1359-1362.
2. Brown M, Glassenberg M. Mortality factors in patients with acute stroke. JAMA 1983; 224: 1493-1495.
3. Scmidt, EV, Smirnov, VE, Ryabova, VS.: Results of the Seven Year Prospective Study of Stroke Patients. Stroke 1988; 19:1942-1949.
4. Hamdy S, Aziz Q, Rothwell JC, Singh KD, Barlow J, Hughes DG, Talalis RC, Thompson DC. The cortical topography of human swallowing musculature in health and disease. Nature Med. 1996; 2: 1217-1224.
5. Hamdy S, Aziz Q, Rothwell JC, Crone R, Hughes DG, Tallis RC, Thompson DC. Explaining oropharyngeal dysphagia after unilateral hemispheric stroke. Lancet 1997; 350:686-692.
6. Smithard DG, O'Neill PA, Park C, Morris J, Wyatt R, England R, Martin DF. Complications and outcome after acute stroke. Does dysphagia matter? Stroke 1996; 27:1200-1204.
7. Gordon C, Langton-Hewer R, Wade DT. Dysphagia in acute stroke. BMJ 1987; 295: 411-414.
8. Wade DT, Langton-Hewer R. Motor loss and swallowing difficulty after stroke: frequency, recovery and prognosis. Acta Neurol Scand 76: 50-54, 1987.
9. Axelsson K, Asplund K, Norberg A, Eriksson S. Eating problems and nutritional status during hospital stay of patients with severe stroke. J Am Diet Assoc 1989; 1092-1096.
10. Doty RW, Richmond WH, Storey AT. Effect of medullary lesions on coordination of deglutition. Exp Neurol. 1967; 17: 91-106.
11. Neumann S, Buchholz D, Jones B, Palmer J. Pharyngeal dysfunction after lateral medullary infarction is bilateral: review of 15 additional cases (Abstract). Dysphagia. 1995;10: 136.
12. Bushmann M, Dobmeyer S, Leeker L, et al. Swallowing abnormalities and their response to treatment in Parkinson's disease. Neurology 1989; 39:1309-1314.
13. Ali GN, Wallace KL, Schwartz R, et al. Mechanisms of oral-pharyngeal dysphagia in patients with Parkinson's disease. Gastroenterology 1996; 110:383-392.
14. Edwards LE, Quigley EMM, Harned RK, et al. Characterization of swallowing and defecation in Parkinson's disease. Am J Gastroenterlol 1994; 89: 15-25.
15. Helfrich-Miller KR, Rector KL, Straka JA. dysphagia: its treatment in the profoundly retarded patient with cerebral palsy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1986; 67: 520-525.
16. St. Guily JL et al. Swallowing disorders in muscular disease: functional assessment and indications of cricopharyngeal myotomy. ENT Journal. 1994(Jan); 73(1): 34-40.
17. Darrow DH, Hoffman HT, Barnes GJ, Wiley CA. Management of dysphagia in inclusion body myositis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1992; 118: 313-317.
18. Hillel AD, Miller R. Bulbar amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: patterns of progression and clinical management. Head Neck 1989; 11: 51-59.
19. Buchholz D. Neurologic causes of dysphagia. Dysphagia 1987; 1: 152-156.
20. Robbins J. Swallowing in ALS and motor neuron disorders. Neurologic clinics 1987; 5: 213-229.
21. Logemann JA. Effects of aging on the swallowing mechanism. Oto Clin NA 1990; 23: 1045-1056.
22. Ekberg O, Feinberg MK. Altered swallowing function in elderly patients without dysphagia: radiologic findings in 56 cases. Amer J Radiol 1991; 156: 1181-1184.
23. Jaradeh S. Neurophysiology of swallowing in the aged. Dysphagia 1994; 9:218-220
24. Aviv JE, Martin JH, Jones ME, Wee TA, Diamond B, Keen MS, Blitzer A. Age related changes in pharyngeal and supraglottic sensation. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1994; 103: 749-752.
25. Plant RL. Anatomy and physiology of swallowing in adults and geriatrics. Oto Clin NA 1998; 31:477-488.
26. Tracey JF, Logemann JA, Kahrilas PJ. Preliminary observations on the effects of age on oropharyngeal deglutition. Dysphagia 1989; 4: 90-94.
27. Aviv JE, Martin JH, Jones ME, Wee TA, Diamond B, Keen MS, Blitzer, A: Age-related changes in pharyngeal and supraglottic sensation. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1994; 103: 749-752.
28. Mortelliti AJ, Malmgren LT, Gacek RR. Ultrastructural changes with age in the human superior laryngeal nerve. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1990; 116: 1062-1069.
29. Paradise JL, Bluestone CD, Backman Z, et. al. Efficacy of tonsillectomy for recurrent throat infections in severely affected children: results of parallel randomized and non-randomized clinical trials. NEJM 1984; 310: 674-
30. Hartman R. Ludwig's angina in children. Am Fam Physician 1999; 60: 109-112.
31. Ungakanont K, Yellon RF, Weissman JL, et. al. Head and neck space infections in infants and children. Oto Head Neck Surg 1195; 112: 375-381.
32. Maeda A, Shiojiri T. A case of multiple cranial nerve palsy with severe dysphagia due to herpes zoster infection. Clinical Neurology 1992; 32: 524-526.
33. Bachor E. Herpes simplex virus type I reactivation as a cause of a unilateral temporary paralysis of the vagus nerve. European Archi of Oto-Rhino-Laryngol 1996; 253: 297-300.
34. Gilden DH, Kleinschmidt-DeMasters, LaGuardia JJ, Mahalingam R, Cohrs RJ. Medical progress: neurologic complications of the reactivation of Varicella-Zoster virus. NEJM 2000; 342: 635-645.
35. Forrest LA, Weed H. Candida laryngitis appearing as leukoplakia and GERD. J Voice 1998; 12: 91-95.
36. Graham SM, Flowers JL, Schweitzer E. Bartlett ST, Imbembo AL. Opportunisitic upper gastrointestinal infections in transplant recipients. Surg Endoscopy 1995; 9: 146-150.
37. Netterville JL, Civantos FJ. Rehabilitation of cranial nerve deficits after neurotologic skull base surgery .Laryngoscope 1993; 103:45-54.
38. Holas MA, DePippo KL, Reding MJ. Aspiration and relative risk of medical complications following stroke.Arch Neurol 1994; 51:1051-1053.
39. McConnel FMS. Evaluation of dysphagia. In Lucente FE, ed. AAO-HNS Instructional Courses. Mosby, St.Louis, MO 1995;8: 71-77.
40.McCulloch TM, Jaffe DM, Hoffman HT. Diseases and operation of head and neck structures affecting swallowing. In Perlman AL, Schulze-Delriew K, ed. Deglutition and its disorders. Singular Pub.Group, Inc., San Diego,CA 1997; Chapter 12:343-381.
41. Urken ML, Moscoso JF, Lawson W, Biller HF. A systematic approach to functional reconstruction of the oral cavity following partial and total glossectomy. Arch Otol-HNS 1994; 120: 589-601.
42. Sokoloff LG, Pavlakovic R. Neuroleptic-induced dysphagia. Dysphagia 1997; 12: 188-193.
43. Dantas RO, Nobre-Souza MA. Dysphagia induced by chronic ingestion of benzodiazepine. Am J Gastroenterol 1997; 92: 1194-1196.
44. Nahlieli O, Eliav E, Shapira Y, Baruchin AM. Central palatal burns associated with the eating of microwaved pizzas. Burns 1999; 25: 465-466.
45.Gupta S. Surgical management of corrosive strictures following acid burns of upper gastrointestinal tract. European J Cardio-Thoracic Surg 1996;10: 934-940.
46. Welsh LW, Welsh JJ, Chinnici JC. Dysphagia due to cervical spine surgery. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1987; 96: 112-115.
47. Buchholz DW. Dysphagia following anterior cervical spine surgery [editorial]. Dysphagia 1997;12:9-10.
48. Daniels SK, Mahoney MC, Lyons GD. Persistent dysphagia and dysphonia following cervical spine surgery. ENT Journal 1998 (June); 77(6): 470-475.
49. Martin RE, Neary MA, Diamant NE. Dysphagia following anterior cervical spine surgery. Dysphagia 1997;12: 2-8.
50. Netterville JL, Koriwchak MJ, Winkle M, et al. Vocal fold paralysis following the anterior approach to the cervical spine. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1996; 105:85-91.
51. Johnson JT. Weissman J. Diverticular imbrication and myotomy for Zenker's. Laryngoscope 1992; 102: 1377-1378.
52. 104. Koufman J, Sataloff RT, Toohill R. Laryngopharyngeal reflux: consensus conference report. J Voice 1996; 10: 215-216.
53. Moser G, Vacriu-Granser GU, Schneider C, et. al. High incidence of esophageal motor disorders in consecutive patients with globus sensation. Gastroenterology 1991; 101:1512-1521.
122. Logemann JA. Therapy for oropharyngeal swallowing disorders in Perlman AL, Schulze-Pelrieu K (eds), Deglutition and its Disorders. Singular Publishing Group, San Diego, CA 1997, pp. 449-461.
123. Logemann JA, Rademaker AW, Paulowski BR, Kahrilas P. Effects of postural change on aspiration in head and neck surgical patients. Oto Head Neck Surg 1994; 110: 222-227.
124. Logemann JA, Kahrilas P, Kobara M, Vakil N. The benefit of head rotation on pharyngoesophageal dysphagia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1989; 70: 767-771
125. Lazarus C, Logemann JA, Rademaker AW, et. al. Effects of bolus volume, viscosity and repeated swallows in non-stroke subjects and stroke patients. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1993; 74: 1066-1070.
126. Logemann JA, Paulowski BR, Colagnelo L, Lazarus C, Fujiu M, Kahrilas P. Effects of a sour bolus on oropharyngeal swallowing measures in patients with neurogenic dysphagia. J Speech Hearing Res 1995; 38: 556-563.
127. Desjardins RP. Obturator prosthesis design for acquired maxillary defects. J Prosthet Dent 1978; 39: 424-435.
128. Nidifler TJ, Shipman TH. The hollow bulb obturator for acquired palatal opening. J Prosthet Dent 1957; 7: 126134.
129. Laccourreye O et al. Esophageal diverticulum: diverticulopexy versus diverticulectomy. Laryngoscope 1994; 104: 889-892.
130. Dohlman G, Mattsson O. The endoscopic operation for hypopharyngeal diverticulum. A roentgen cinematographic study. Arch Oto Head Neck Surg 1960; 71: 744-752.
131. Van Overbeek JJM. Meditation on the pathogenesis of hypopharyngeal (Zenker's) diverticulum and a report of endoscopic treatment in 545 patients. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1994; 103: 178-185.
132. Wisdom G, Blitzer A. Surgical therapy for swallowing disorders. Oto Clin NA 1998; 31: 537-560.
133. Pou AM. Surgical treatment of swallowing disorders: Cricopharyngeal myotomy in Carrau RL, Murray T (eds.). Comprehensive Management of Swallowing Disorders. Singular Publishing Group, Inc. San Diego, CA 1999, pp.
134. Stevens KM, Newell RC. Cricopharyngeal myotomy in dysphagia. Laryngoscope 1971; 81: 1616-1620.
135. Lebo CP, Sang K, Norris FH. . Cricopharyngeal myotomy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Laryngoscope 1976; 86: 862-868.
136. Calcaterra TC, Kadell BM, Ward PH. Dysphagia secondary to Cricopharyngeal muscle dysfunction: surgical management. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1975; 101: 726-729.
137. Netterville JL, Stone RE, Luken ES, Civantos FJ, Ossoff RH. Silastic medialization and arytenoid adduction, a review of 116 procedures: the Vanderbilt experience. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1993; 102: 413-424.
138. Eliachar I, Nguyen D. Laryngotracheal stent for internal support and control of aspiration without loss of phonation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1990; 103: 837-840.
139. Castellanos PF. Method and clinical results of a new transthyrotomy closure of the supraglottic larynx for the treatment of intractable aspiration. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1997; 106: 451-460.
140. Biller HF, Lawson W. Total glossectomy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1983; 109: 69-73.
141. Lindeman RC, Yarington CT, Sutter D. Clinical experience with the tracheoesophageal anastomosis for intractable aspiration. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1976; 85: 609-613.
142. Cannon CR, McClean WC. Laryngectomy for chronic aspiration. Am J Otolaryngol 1982;